Sunday, October 16, 2011

Just Reach Out

Many times, I don't quite fit in with certain groups of women I'm around a lot. I'm sure most of us feel this way whether it's our co-workers, parenting groups or school groups. Somehow, we're the "odd one out". I feel this way at my church often. Many of the women in my age range are difficult to relate to. We don't share the same lifestyles or the same hobbies and interests.

While I dearly love these ladies, few of them are the types I can call up and have some coffee or go to a gallery with. Even so, I learned a valuable lesson for those of us in this situation - always reach out.

Today, I spoke to "Kay" who is 6 months pregnant with a girl. I asked her if she was getting any clothes for the baby yet. She told me she was and I let her know I knit as a hobby and had some soft cotton leftover from another baby related project. If she wanted me to make some booties or a hat, I'd make it for her.

My first intention was just to be nice and spark a conversation. Normally when I tell people I enjoy knitting I get a very strange look. I've also been asked often if my Grandmother taught me how to knit (for the record, she didn't).

Kay's eyes lit up and she jumped on it "you knit? Can you make those little skully caps?"

I told her I could and she grinned "Oh yes please! I always wanted to make those things. Wait...can you teach me how to do that?"

I was quite surprised at this reaction. I learned that Kay was a pretty crafty chick. She sewed, made purses and did a lot of diy projects at home. So I gave her my number and offered to come over sometime with my knitting bag and we would start knitting.

It's funny because she and I would otherwise have nothing in common. I certainly didn't expect to have such a positive reaction either. I guess that goes to show you that no matter how much you feel like the "oddball" in a group, if you keep reaching out you will be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment