Saturday, October 15, 2011

Money Plans

Finances forced us to take a break from trying to have a baby some time ago. Now that we're going to try again, finances still aren't perfect. I actually had to do some convincing on saving money in order to get the husband to realize this can be done.

I went through some articles and started researching things. I also spoke to friends and other Mothers I knew. Then, I took my own experience from my two Step-children and came up with some "money saving" plans for a baby. What's going to be really fun is to see how much of this goes out the window when the baby comes.

#1. Cloth diapers. Yes, it sounds nuts and it's still a debated topic. After doing a lot of research and talking to some people who do it, I think cloth diapers aren't too bad of an idea. The laundry part is a bit more cumbersome, but the money saved versus disposable diapers is a lot. I write that with the factor of a water bill and extra detergent.

#2. Breastfeeding. This is a given for me at least. I know my Mother wasn't able to breastfeed, but I know that breast feeding is highly recommended if you're able to do it. I plan on breast feeding as long as everything is OK in that department which will cut down on costs of formula. I'm not silly enough to think we'll have no formula around, but we won't spend as much if I can breast feed.


#3. Buy all the things! I have quite a few friends who are already done having children. They have good quality baby stuff just hanging around in their homes. Many of them want to get rid of some of these items. I'll gladly take that off of their hands when it's time and save a bundle. I do know some things will be new but a lot will be used.

#4. DIY! I like doing crafty things. I enjoy knitting and painting. My Mother sews. Between the two of us, I think a lot of bought items will be created instead. That's going to save quite a bit when it comes to baby-time. I'm already saving patterns for booties and hats in my Ravelry favorites.

#5. Beat Mom off with a stick. I know my Mother. Much like her own Mother, the idea of Grandchildren is the best thing to ever hit since my brother and I were born. Also much like her own Mother, she spoils my two Step-kids rotten already (as a Grandparent should). I have a feeling I will have to constantly fight my Mom off when it comes to buying things for the baby. I already have to do this.

Now, this isn't saying I rely on my Mother. She's just your typical Grandmother who loves spending money on the Grandkids. So I know she is going to try and buy a lot of things. Some of it I will accept. Others, I'll have to ask her to return because I won't be able to accept it.

#6. Yard sales. I live in a middle-upper class area just outside of Nashville. Our neighborhood has yard sales at least once a month at any given house. This is a great chance to grab things not only for a new baby but for the existing kids as well. Most neighbors have yard sales to clear out what their kids can't/don't use anymore.

#7. Dollar General and stuff. The first two Christmases with my Step-children was a huge learning experience. I spent far too much money on gifts only to realize the things they enjoyed most were small or very cheap gifts from places like Dollar General. I've come to realize kids and babies don't need the big expensive toys. They'll entertain themselves with things that are far less expensive.

I also plan on going for the chain stores for a lot of supplies. Places like Target and Publix (my grocery store) have their store brand baby products. They're just fine and less expensive than name brand items. Many times the ingredients are the same as well.

#8. Making my own baby food. This is another tough one and something a few people didn't recommend. Then again, the people who told me "Don't do this" are also the types who don't make anything. Me? I make cosmetics, bath and body products and a lot of other food items we freeze. So making baby food is just another step in that direction. I know it will take some (a lot) extra containers and freezer space. It will also take a new blender or even a baby food specific grinder. However, I think this is a good step.

No comments:

Post a Comment